Sunday, March 24, 2013

Where is spring?

This week,on Monday, I came down with a terrible stomach flu, putting me off the bike until Friday. This would also be my first attempt at riding since hurting my ribs while racing. Fortunately, Friday night was my club's (Greater Lynchburg Off-road Cyclist) first social ride of the season.  It's great ride to get back into the swing of things, a split between riding and chatting. It was a good ride, but the ribs still aren't up to par and every bump made me remember they were injured.

 
The crew getting ready.


Saturday, I had planned on a road ride with some friends, but they had to bail. I decided to go do something at little different that I had been meaning to do. The High Bridge State Park trail is only about 20 mins east of my house but I had never gone. It's a 31 mile long "rails to trail" with the highlight being the High Bridge, which is 125ft above the Appomattox River. I went and parked at the start of the trail in Pamplin not really knowing of far I would ride.
The start of the trail

Cruising along the flat smooth tail I made it to mile 25 and the high bridge in no time. The trail doesn't get a lot of travel except for around the bridge itself.  I took a nice break and enjoyed the view and then decided to press on and go all the way to the end of the trail.  I regretted that later when I bonked since I had only brought one pack of shot blocks for food.  By the end of the day I put in 63miles in 4.5hrs. It felt good to get a nice long ride in, even if it was on flat gravel.

The Epic  chillin on the bridge


Sunday SNOW!! Looks like up to 6 inches as it's still coming down. I'm ready for winter to be over last year it was already 70 degrees by this time.

View from the front porch


No comments:

Post a Comment